Antioxidants and Cancer Prevention
Recently the word antioxidant has become so familiar in various commercial products, pharmaceutical ads and health promotion campaigns. The antioxidants are the molecules which can inhibit the oxidation of other molecules. Oxidation is one kind of chemical reaction that transfers electrons or hydrogen from a substance to an oxidizing agent. Oxidation reactions can produce free radicals. Free radicals are the ions, atoms or molecules that have unpaired valence electrons or an open electron shell. These free radicals will only become stable if they get their designated electron pair. If these unstable radicals freely roam in the human body damage cells and tissues including DNA by performing some chain reactions. Afterwards body will start to malfunction and degenerate. Some common reasons for forming free radicals are smoking, pollution and exposure to sunlight. Antioxidants are the substances that attach themselves to the unstable free radicals. Once these free radicals become stable the havoc occurring in the human body ends.
In recent laboratory works it has been observed that antioxidants can prevent cancer. Cancer develops when cells multiply in the presence of oxidation and other damages. The antioxidants ebb the oxidative damage and inhibit early benign cancer growth, preventing cancer from developing.
In some research works it has been proved that certain antioxidant substances like vitamin C are able to differentiate between cancer cells and healthy cells. They kill cancer cells while helping healthy cells. This type of substances may act either as antioxidant or pro-oxidants. In healthy cells, they act as protective antioxidant and in cancer cells they act as pro-oxidants, producing hydrogen peroxide that attacks the cancer. The dual nature of these substances is impressive because the traditional chemotherapy or radiation harms healthy cells almost as much as it does cancer cells.
For significant protection against cancer at least two antioxidant rich foods should be included in each meal.
· For breakfast people may include fruits and nuts with their favorite cereal. Fruits like blueberries, strawberries, mulberries, grapes and figs are the excellent sources of antioxidants. In nut category walnuts, pecans, almonds and cashews are included.
· At lunch dark green vegetables should be included as they contain different groups of cancer fighting properties which provide a broader range of protection. Beside dark green vegetables, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower are handsome sources of antioxidants.
· At dinner those who prefer to take something light can take a vegetable salad includes carrots and tomatoes as these two vegetables are rich with antioxidants. The people who take regular menu in their dinner can also include this vegetable salad with regular ones.
· Those who like to take tea may take green tea. Green tea is a very good source of antioxidants. One should consume 3 cups of green tea every day. Green tea without sugar is more effective to protect cancer.
· An excellent option for some time is fresh vegetable juice containing lettuce, spinach, carrot and red beet. Apple can be added to amplify the taste. But the apples should be used with their antioxidant rich skins.
Though the word antioxidant is slightly tough to utter but the food sources .https://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/skincell-pro-reviews-2021-scam-complaints-and-side-effects-list/Content?oid=36157922